Saturday, December 24, 2011

No fuss steamed plum pudding


I've said it before and I'll say it again, the No Fuss Fudge Cake recipe I've mentioned on the blog before is fan-bloody-tastic! I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before, but I thought I'd try making it into a steamed Plum Pudding for Christmas and it worked absolutely beautifully. I can't take a cross-section photo just yet because they're being saved for Christmas Day lunch but the bits I picked off were delicious and the cake was a very similar texture to a traditional plum pudding.


I only decided late to make them so had the dried fruit steeped in a little whisky for about a week but you can do that months in advance. You can make the puddings months in advance too but I think I'd find that too tempting.


The other good thing was I made 6 individual puddings using coffee cups as the moulds and steamed them in the slow cooker for 2 hours. When finished, allow to cool, wrap in plastic wrap and will microwave for about 30 seconds when ready to serve.


No Fuss Steamed Plum Puddings

1 and half cups plain flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 cup sugar
juice of 1 orange made up to 1 cup water
zest from 1 orange
1 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped finely       }
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped finely  }   (basically any dried fruit up to 1 cup)
enough whisky/rum/brandy/port to cover dried fruit (for non alcoholic, use fruit juice)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tablespoon white vinegar
6 tablespoons oil (I use canola)
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
half teaspoon salt
  1. Soak dried fruit in alcohol (or fruit juice) as long as possible before making puddings. (I had steeped for about 1 week.)
  2. Heat water in slow cooker on high before making pudding mix. Ensure water will go three quarters up the side of pudding dish/s.
  3. Put the flour, sugar, cocoa and juice/water in a bowl. Add soaked fruit, zest, vinegar, oil, baking soda and salt. Mix until smooth.
  4. Pour into greased and lined moulds or a pudding basin. Cover in aluminium foil. (You can grease the foil to avoid sticking but I didn't and there wasn't much cake that stuck.)
  5. Place in slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours for individual moulds and approximately 4 hours for a pudding basin. (I would check after each hour with a skewer to check that cake is cooked. Also, ensure the the height of the water is retained.)
  6. Wrap in plastic wrap until ready to serve. Warm through in microwave and serve with custard and/or ice cream.


I'm sure if you cooked this in an oven, you'd have near enough to a lovely moist, rich Christmas cake. The wonders never cease with this recipe.

6 comments:

  1. I love no-fuss recipes! This looks like a quick and fun one to do with the family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I love that you made these in your slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try this in the new year. thanks for the recipe and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The really look tasty! Thanks for the reciope, yum!

    So sorry to hear your sad news, I really truly wish you & your family much love & strength this Christmas. Will be thinking of you Anne, Big Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing Anne. Damn my coeliac ways! Love the gorgeous Santa tins too. Very cute. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...