Friday, April 13, 2012

Listography: Top 5 albums by a male solo artist


It's been a few weeks since I've joined in on Kate's Listography from Kate Takes 5, but I just can't resist this week. As you may know, I just love music and have such a varied taste. This is going to be hard to narrow it down to 5 albums by a male solo artist, but here goes.



1.  "Sign o' the Times" - Prince

The 80's were a heady time for me. One minute I was playing the guitar along to Bob Dylan or Neil Young and the next minute I was bopping along to the latest Madonna song in some nightclub or a rockin' Aussie band at the local. I used to press rewind on the old in-car cassette player whenever "Sign o' the Times" came on. I loved this entire album and still do AND I've just heard Prince is touring in May. Can't wait to see him.


image of recording


2.  "Decade" by Neil Young

Trying to narrow it down to just one favourite Neil Young album is difficult. I love all of his work. "Decade" is a compilation album and has all of my favourites like "Cinnamon Girl", "Sugar Mountain", "Helpless" and the list goes on. Great memories for me.



3.  "Are You Experienced" - Jimi Hendrix

Ultimately the original 'guitar hero' of our generation and a great loss to the music world, way before his time. This album has the classics "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe" and "The Wind Cries Mary" as well as many others. (This album is by "The Jimi Hendrix Experience", the band, but it's on my list of male solo artists, just because.)



4.  "For the Working Class Man" - Jimmy Barnes

Jimmy Barnes was/is the lead singer of one of Australia's legendary rock bands "Cold Chisel" and this was his second solo album after leaving the band. There was many a party had back in the 80's when this album was released and nearly every one of the songs on this album went on to become a hit. If you're an Aussie, you'll remember this and love it as I do/did.



5.  "Otis Redding - The Definitive Collection" - Otis Redding

I couldn't go without mentioning one of my all time faves, Otis Redding. You could pick any album of his (not that there was many before he left us) but they've all got such classics as "Dock of the Bay", "Try a Little Tenderness" and "My Girl" on any one of them. This album has them all. He was just the coolest!


And just because I couldn't leave Iggy Pop out, here's one of my favourites I'll leave you with from his album "Blah Blah Blah". Thanks Kate for another great topic. Check out what everyone else has on their lists.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Los angeles! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you present here and can't wait to take a
    look when I get home. I'm surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even
    using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, great blog!
    My webpage - Scott J. Ferrell attorney

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...